Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Top Ten Trends for 2009

Every year, we hear a forecast of trends in the industry and everyone follows suit. Here is what I am projecting for the trends of 2009.

1. Go green!
In the current economic situation, I believe we will see a big swing headed towards green products- REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE! There are so many reasons to go green (and not just environmentally, moreso for convenience). For exapmle, Philadelphia Shaw makes a fantastic green carpet that runs for $21.89 sq/yd.

2. Green again...
In a trade show, I saw that avocado green appliances were coming back in a huge way. This time around, we will refer to the color as Moss and it is going to be high shine, patent almost.

3. Yellow
To go back to the economic situation we are facing, yellow is a color that brings sunshine to mind. It's peaceful, tranquil, and calming. I believe in chromatherapy; in doing so, I know yellow has to be huge. Utah County residents- REJOICE!

4. Electronics
In spite of economic times, our boys love their toys. I have seen iPod speaker systems for the home shooting up like crazy. I have a friend who works in electronics and his business has doubled since the end of November. Home theaters, stereo systems that go from room to room by just connecting your iPod to one port, flat screens (as prices forced to be slashed by the Federal gov't), etc.

5. Modern design
I see the modern look becoming more and more pronounced in areas that surprise me. I have seen several home recently where modern fixtures and faucets are being installed- super sleek, smooth, simple design.

6. Mixing granites
A friend who owns a granite company informed me that he is selling more and more pieces of granite that are being mixed with other granites. For example, the kitchen may have Black Forrest Gold on all countertops except the island and back splash; they could be done in Caramba.

7. Dark woods
Dark woods are becoming more of trend than ever (yay!) and I couldn't be happier!

8. Zero-scaping
Instead of landscaping, I believe zero-scaping will big on the radar this year. Rocks, bark chips, little grass. Incredibly affordable and environmentally friendly.

9. Glass art pieces
Blown glass dishes, bowls, stained glass, etc. These are becoming more prevalent in homes because each piece is unique.

10. Retro/Vintage/Antique
You can never go wrong with timeless classics- 60's couches, 50's dining room tables, antique rugs, etc. In my opinion, it's always a trend to be timeless.

4 comments:

  1. Your observations and forecasts are very interesting. I am impressed and excited to know that I can count on you to keep me in the know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your compliment- it's much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to agree with so many of these and say that I LOVE the thought of them. I am in love with anything retro/vintage, etc. Just look at my house and you can see! Also going green so important. I always speak to my girls about how being green is not just smart but socially responsible as well!

    The avocado green news is amazing. I secretly have always loved this color and could never understand why it went out of style. My kitchen is a martha stewart color called spiny sea urchin and it resembles and avocado green!

    Then last but the yellow movement. I am IN LOVE with yellow. Always have been and now its cool to use it, so thanks for stating that. I really love the use of it more in clothing, home decor, etc. YAY for yellow! Such a happy color.

    Anyway I love the name of your blog too. I think its funny. I live in a modular home and I have been doing all this decorating some of which I have announced to everyone has been featured on a decorating website {or two} and I was thinking of starting a blog called "tres-ler house chic" technically I dont live in a trailer but I thought it would be clever.

    Okay enough of this long comment. I {heart} your blog. Keep it coming! Come see me when you come back to hillbillyville. It would be nice!

    XOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  4. I <3 you Air! You are too cute! I think we definitely need to get together and share notes. Please feel free to post any of your home remodel pics on here. I appreciate your point of view and have loved the work you have done on your home. I think your home is retro-chic!

    ReplyDelete